PART ONE – THEORY TOPICS COVERED
- Safety & Comfort
- Weather & Navigation
- Rules under sail and motor
- Launching and retrieving a trailer yacht on a ramp.
- Rigging and preparing for sailing
- Sailing basics – wind conditions and sail choices. Parts of the yacht. Points of sail.
- Anchoring, Stern tying & docking
- Emergency situations – Fire & person overboard
- Sailing with families and young children.
Course Notes PDF here >> DOWNLOAD
FOLLOWED BY PART TWO – TWO DAYS SAILING, EXPLORING & HOT SWIMS
AS MY GUEST – NO CHARGE
ACCOMMODATION & FOOD
There are many bachs (holiday homes) for rent on Lake Rotoiti many with their own jetty. Some are very reasonable starting at just $100/night. Depending on availability and time of year. Food is bought to the Lake and is a shared expense.
The courses will run throughout the year and while the winter weather on the Lake can be just as nice as summer, provisions for wet and cold weather clothing must be made. – togs still required for the hot pools!
Lake Rotoiti, Bay of Plenty, is very central to many locations. It is 14km long and about 2.5km wide at its widest point. This Lake has the only “boat only accessible” hot pools in the country. There are several glow worm caves along with beautiful coves and sandy beaches, waterfalls and Māori historic sites. Check out my 360 DEGREE AERIAL TOUR
- 3hrs from Auckland and Napier/Hastings.
- 1hour 45min from Hamilton,
- 50min from Tauranga.
- 1hr 25min from Taupo.
Depending on availability courses can be extended from 2-4 days.
A really good thing to kick off with is the online VHF Radio course run by Boating Education NZ . Its pretty simple and all online. Plus its a legal requirement to be able to use a VHF (Marine} Radio
CLICK HERE >>ONLINE RADIO COURSE