20th March 2021
Saturday we were finally able to move on to Kas, with the blustery winds having a brief break. We left 9.15 am for our 22 nautical mile journey and arrived at 3 pm in the afternoon. It was a pleasant day.
We where all super excited to get to Kas, because Jonathan and Dot from Sunday where anchored in the bay there and we hadn’t seen them in many months. They where our lockdown buddies in Athens, buying a boat at the same time as we did. Their paperwork got completed a few weeks before ours, so we never managed to catch up with them again until now. Almost exactly to the day we met them first a year ago in Athens.
Dot and Jonathan are dog lovers too and Sunday was Lucy’s second home. She even knew where the cookie tin lived. We all where so curious if Lucy would recognize them. It was a pleasant sail to Kas. Once we turned into the bay we could spot Sunday from the distance and Jonathan said he would turn the kettle on for our arrival. Tim pulled up Polly besides Sunday and Lucy recognized Dot and Jonathan from a distance, feeping and crying to get over to say hello. We said a brief hello and then set out to drop our anchor. There where strong winds forecast again for tomorrow night, so we tried to find the right spot in the small harbor.
Once the anchor was safe and we had tucked in nicely we all jumped in the dinghy to see Dot and Jonathan on Sunday for a tea. It was such a nice reunion and we all where so happy to see them. I think for the kids they almost feel like adopted grand parents. They happily chatted away with Dot for quite some time. Once the sun started setting Tim and I went over to the Marina supermarket to stock up on some basics for dinner, while Dot, Jonathan, the kids and Lucy went for a walk to the Amphitheatre. I started cooking some dinner and all 3 kids where dropped back just in time for dinner. We had a happy, settled night that night.
The next day Dot and Jonathan invited us and Barry and Aannsha from Sailing A B Sea over for sundowners and dinner. In the morning we all went to town to check where the Pisces crew had settled on the other side of the bay on the town quay. They found a nice spot tucked in there for the predicted winds. After a chat we moved on to grab a quick bite at a Turkish café and then did our grocery shop at the Migros in town for the much needed stock up of our boat supplies. Luca had stayed on the boat, because he wanted to clean his room (a most unusual occurrence), which looked sparkling by the time we got back.
I baked another Lemon Syrup Cake for dessert tonight and then we all went for a shower in the Marina, which was such bliss after 2 weeks of sink washes in the cold. We had such a lovely evening on Sunday, sitting out in the Sun for nibbles and drinks and then moving in for a delicious dinner.
At around 10 it got really blowy, so we all made a move to get back to our boats and that is when it all started to get really scary. We all got in our PJ’s and settled in for the night, but the wind sounded sooo strong and I was really anxious as usual. The bay is fairly deep and quite small, to its a bit of a trick to get the right scope of anchor chain and make sure we are still free to swing without bumping into anything. I had a weird feeling in bed and got up again to look out of the hatch and saw how close we had swung to the rocks. Our chain must have stretched in that direction, so I called Tim and he decided we had to move and re-anchor. After 2 attempts we seemed to have settled in with the anchor in what seemed to be extremely strong winds. I was soo scared. It was late and dark and blowing like anything. The wind seemed not to be steady from one direction, but swirling around, making us swing in all directions. We both stayed up on deck, just to keep an eye on things. The gusts that came though seemed to get stronger and more violent and still swirling and after another 360 our anchor let go and we started drifting towards the boats in the marina this time. Tim quickly turned on the engine, while I lifted the anchor once more in those strong gusts. We tried to go a bit further forward to give us more scope and anchor chain, but where really worried with all the swinging that we would bump into the marina wall or another boat.
While I was trying to lift the anchor and Tim was trying to control the boat at the helm our flexi solar panels let go on one side and started flapping around in the strong gusts. $500 dollar gear, just about to blow away. I tried to secure them with some rope on top and then rushing back to handle the anchor. Again we stayed on deck to see if the anchor had set and stays set. It seemed fine and the wind seemed to slowly get a bit milder. It was about 3.30 in the morning by now and Tim said we should go and have a lie down. He had set the anchor alarm really tight. And sure enough 30 minutes later it went off again. The wind now coming strongly from a different direction had swung us towards another boat. We still had quite a bit of space between us. We put fenders out just in case and kept watching on deck. The owner of the other boat was also up keeping an eye on things and our friends on Sunday had also swung in a completely different direction towards another boat too close for comfort. So we saw them up anchor as well and trying to resettle their boat.
I decided there was probably no sleep to be had and made us a cup of tea to warm us up and soothe our spirits. My heart had gone full speed all night and I was never so scared in my life. I was so worried we would end up smashing into other boats and rocks. The next day our friends from AB Sea, who where in the marina nearby told us they recorded gusts up to 70 knots that night on their instruments. No wonder it was so scary. Once daylight came out things somehow settled down. Nina had slept through it all and was completely unaware of the rowdy night. Luca got up once, saying it was so noisy, but went back to snooze. When Tim tried to take Lucy to shore he discovered that somehow we had lost everything that was in the dinghy, which was attached really tightly to our boat, both paddles, the petrol can, our stern tie chain and our foot mat had gone plus as an additional bonus the dinghy motor wouldn’t start.
I mentioned to Tim several times that night that there was no way I was going to spend another day and night like this in this bay with more strong winds forecast for several days. And now with no way of getting Lucy to shore with the dinghy out of action we decided to call the Marina and bite the bullet of paying more marina fees for a sense of safety in the next few days. The winds where still strong, but the Marina guys helped us in so skillfully that we where tucked into our Marina berth in no time.
While Tim sorted the formalities with the Marina, I had a tidy up on the boat. Tim went to order some new Paddles for our dinghy, which are essential with our temperamental dinghy motor and I walked to town with Nina to buy fruit and veg, which we hadn’t managed to carry the day before. We also set out to find a vet for Lucy to have her Rabies antibody test. It was 1 month since she had her rabies vaccine in Finike, that was exactly the wait time required before the antibody test could be done. So being stationary in a Marina was the perfect opportunity to organise that. After a bit of asking around we found a Vet who said we could do the test tomorrow. Yay. It will be good to get that out of the way. The test is required to enter Malta. Once we have the test results its still a 3 month wait period before we can enter Malta, but with Corona still playing havoc we want to have as many possibilities as we can to move towards the Atlantic. Having to manage the requirements for pets on top of the human ones in among the pandemic makes it all the more interesting.
We found a big Turkish fruit and veggie shop and Nina spotted on the sign that they had free Yacht service. So we did a very generous fruit and veggie shop to stock up Polly and a lovely man with a motor bike delivered it to Tim on Polly. Luckily I had my reusable bags that Tim would recognize, because he didn’t know there was a delivery coming…Tim had managed to un-drown our dinghy motor and it was making familiar noises again. It obviously got completely soaked in all the splashing the night before. Once we stored everything away we went to have another nice long shower and met Martin, Yvette and Jason who had come over from the town quay with their bikes to check out the marina. They came over for drinks and afterwards we had our dinner and an early night. Despite the wind I slept like baby, knowing that we where tied up safely in the marina.
The next morning we woke up to orange skies and a dusting of the familiar Sahara sand all over the boat. Tim told me he had read on the internet that Greece was bracing for a big sand cloud, which we could clearly see in the sky. It was such a weird feeling in the air with everything looking so much darker and orange. There was rain forecast and we had our vet appointment with Lucy at 11.
Nina decided she wanted to come, so I grabbed all our papers and we set off to town. I always feel so horrible taking Lucy to the vet, as I can’t really explain to her what was happening. The nice vet took her out the back to draw the blood. I could hear her scrambling on the metal table. After a while she re-emerged stressed with blood on her poor little paw. Nina and I tried to console her. We had to wait for quite some time for all the paperwork to be done and Lucy got a chance to make friends with a distressed poodle who was waiting for a bath and nail clip after rolling in something nasty.
Once we got out the door it looked even darker, so we started to make out way back. I spotted some sweet potatoes in front of a supermarket and bought 3 kg, as I don’t tolerate normal potatoes very well. Once we got moving the rain drops started falling and we heard thunder. Lucy gets so scared in thunder, so we tried to make a dash for it to get back to the Marina, but we where too late. The rain got stronger and stronger and we got completely drenched. We ran part of the way. I was worried because I had paperwork and all our passports in the not so waterproof backpack and was hoping that the sweet potatoes would protect the passports underneath. When we arrived at the boat, we could literally wring out all our clothes. We got soaked to our undies and it took a little while to wipe up all the puddles and sort out the soaked mess.
Lucky for our boat, most of the Sahara sand got washed off in that downpour and Tim said he could see the orange mud running off the back of the boat. It was a super windy day again and we had invited the crews from ABSea and Sunday over for a dumpling night at Polly. Unfortunately it was too windy for the Sunday crew to come over to the marina in their dinghy, so it was a smaller circle, but again a really nice gathering with fellow cruisers.
If you enjoy reading my blogs and watching our videos you might want to consider buying us coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Its easy, safe, quick and we really appreciate your support.